Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baby sewing

I'm going to a baby shower later on.
Twins.
What to give to the expectant mother of twins? Little matching outfits? A million baby socks? A pile of diapers?
I thought about a diaper wallet, but I made one of those just a few weeks ago. I can never go into business making these things because I'd be forced to dig my eyes out if I had to make more than one in the course of a month.
Then it hit me. Baby slings. I've been meaning to sort these out for ages. It prickles my skin when I happen on a web site selling the simplest of slings for fifty bucks.
I see them, I admire the lovely fabrics, I see how nice and convenient they are, and I start to want one. Then I wake up and realize just how simple it would be to make if I just thought about the measurements for a few minutes.
Yesterday I thought about the measurements for a few minutes. Then I made one for myself. Then I made one for my friend. Then I made one for her husband. (they are having 2 babies, so they'll need 2)
The actual sewing takes no more than 15 minutes. The most time consuming part of the project is washing and ironing the fabric.
I think I'm going to dip my toe into the pool of tutorial writing with this project. Don't hold your breath though, I don't feel at home on this computer so it may have to wait until my shiny new lappy comes and I get all nice and comfy with it.
Here are my three slings

The all floral one is mine, the floral with green one is hers, the brown and spots is his.

And here is the Diaper wallet I already gave away.

This time I made it out of a discounted Pillow sham from Ross. That was nice because I didn't have to quilt it myself. The sham was made with a lighter weight batting than I normally use so I had to beef it up on the closure flap to get the stability I needed. It still saved time though, having it pre-quilted.
This was my best one yet, I made it a little longer than it's predecessors and that was the key.
Some day I'll be able to show you what else I've been up to.

6 comments:

EdgyK said...

I really really am looking forward to the tutorial!

~ Doreen said...

Can't wait for the tutorial! I have an ultimate baby wrap that I used with my last baby and will use again, but I would LOVE to make myself an extra wrap to use with the baby due in May.

Also - I am in need of some stick horses for an upcoming Sunday School lesson and thought I might make two of them. I know you made some not long ago. Can you email me about it - did you have a pattern, etc?

Thanks!!

Amy said...

I want a tutorial. OR I'll just buy material, be your ironing slave and watch your kids for 15 minutes while you sew for me. How does that sound?!

Melis said...

Beautiful fabric! I'm inspired to make one for myself!

SJ said...

Ew, I would love a tutorial! I'd even pay you for one, as I know you'd make it good, and it would be cheaper than buying a sling for $50.

Kate said...

OK, for the crafty impared... where do I sign up for these lovely things! You are too amazing my friend!