Sunday, September 28, 2008

Progress Report

Halloween is fast approaching and I've been a bit side tracked, what with our New One and all. I'm going to have to buckle down, I'm afraid.
Here's our progress so far;

This heap and hoop are my elephant.
It's actually much more than a heap, but that could be a post of it's own so I'll hold off on the details for now.


Here we have the fabrics for Tiny's suit and my Sufferagette uniform.
The charcoal flannel (top left)is Tiny's, the china silk (top right) is lining for us both, and the remaining wool is for me.

I am in love with that wool, the thing is though, I don't want to use it for my costume like I'd intended. I thought the texture and the extra colors woven through would add dimension to the finished product but now that I look at it again, I think they'll actually detract.
A nice, heavy broadcloth is what I need for Winnifred Banks, I'd like a pair of trousers from the wool, or a pencil skirt, or a winter coat,...ahh possibilities.

For George Banks, we purchased a Blqack Suit from Savers. We are still looking for a vest, a punched out bowler, and an inside out umbrella. To finish things off, I'll be making over the collar on one of The Mr's white dress shirts to suit the period.
Meanwhile, The Mr himself has been hard at work on Mr Banks' whiskers. When the time comes, he'll discard the goatee and manicure the remaining mustache appropriately.

After I'd taken ten or so photos of his lower face, he gave me this look. He either wanted me to stop, or he was chagrined that I hadn't waited a few minutes for him to shave and spiff things up before I photographed his facial hair.

I'm having some poor luck with Baby Girl's Jane dress. I didn't think it would be difficult to find a sky blue tone on tone striped sateen, but I was wrong. I may have to take more creative liberties with her costume than I'd intended to do, simply because the materials are not available for replication.
Hopefully I'll make more marked progress in the week to come and report back with a completed project or two.

3 comments:

Annie Jarman said...

I know I've said it before, or something akin to it, but you amaze me, woman. I wish, oh how I wish I was as talented as you!

Faasuamanu and Melinda Toilolo said...

Man I thought I was good.. I went to Children's Place in September and bought Kylie's which costume.. I thought I was GOOD but you are amazing!! The only costume Faa wants to wear for Halloween is somthing gross and inapropriate like "adam" or a plumbers crack..

Susan said...

You're knowledge and skill are amazingly intimidating! This process is facinating to watch.