For the first time since I was paid to in the Utah Festival Opera costume shop, I (almost) followed a pattern.
I know, it's weird.
The pattern is Butterick B4686. It was the sew along project featured on Presser Foot for June/July. I had quite a fun time sewing along in May so I decided to play again in spite of my aversion to commercial patterns. It also helped that I got the pattern on sale for $1.99.
I browsed fabrics, both in my stash and online for quite a while before I saw this and knew it was what I wanted. The idea of pleating the zig-zags just tickled me.
The alteration I made to the pattern was related to my fabric choice. The pattern calls for laying out the piece length wise, that would have made my zig-zags vertical, and I would not be ok with that even if I'd had enough fabric to do it that way.
Since my fabric was narrower across than the 7 pleat skirt piece, I had to adjust. Lucky for me, taking out one pleat made it all work out just right.
I would have been more than a little annoyed if after going to the trouble to actually buy a pattern I'd had to completely rework it to accommodate my fabric choice.
My only regret is that I was unable to match the pattern across all of the pleats. I meant to wear it high wasted and tucked in, as above, but the interrupted zigs and zags are less that flattering across the tummy. Had they matched, me thinks they would have had quite a slimming effect. Oh well, I like it anyway.