Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Drafting a dragon

I signed us up for the kid's ornament exchange at the Crafty Crow this year. Such fun! The theme is fairy tales, I was thinking of doing something easyish like gnomes (a felt cone on a wooden bead with a cotton ball beard and done!) but Zizza declared dragons to be her inspiration and since this is a kid's swap I thought she should have some say.
I was thinking paper mache at first. Basically making mini pinatas with a water balloon as the abdomen. The problem there was, I couldn't decide how to make the hind legs. Then I realized I hadn't even considered the matter of a tail and I scraped that whole Idea. Instead we're going with basic painted paper plus a little wire for stability. Here's my prototype;
I'm still trying to decide on the orientation of the tail spike, this way?
Or this way?
These were my first wings. I thouthg they looked upside down and rather batish so I tried again.
Attempt number 2 taught me that the first wings were not upside down after all, just slanted the wrong way.
That brought me to set number three which were a winner.
Rawr!

Now I just have to make six more and then turn the kids loose with some paint! Who knows, I might even get crazy and let them use glitter!

If you'd like me to, I'll make my dragon template available for download

2 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Oh yes please do make the dragon available. It would also be a neat project for Chinese New Year crafting with young ones.

While my blogging has been on hiatus these past few months, have been doing things. The latest making felt Christmas tree shape ornaments with IsSix -- you have inspired me to try to get that up in an article for others to try too.

Thanks Eva.

Jane

Anonymous said...

We love, love, love our dragon. Thank you so much. I'm glad our ornament made it to your door. In one piece??