Monday, November 7, 2011

Sharing is Caring

Today I'd like to share with you one of my new go to recipes.

For years I've experimented with garlic bread sticks. Putting the garlic butter on before baking vs.after baking, using fresh garlic vs. powdered. Well, I finally found the secret and now I find myself looking for reasons to bake bread sticks.

Really they go with almost every thing. Having peanut butter sandwiches for dinner? Bread sticks go well with that.

Here's the recipe I've been using.

The dough is good, but if you have a roll recipe you like go ahead and use that. The real secret is the application of the garlic butter. Brush it on once and the middle of baking and then again at the end. That middle application never made it into my experiments and as such I never counted any of them a success.

One other note; I don't actually follow the recipe for the garlic butter. It calls for 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 2 teaspoons garlic powder and 2 teaspoons salt. Here are the problems I have with that.

First; Two teaspoons is way-hay-hay to much salt. The link above recommends cutting the amount in half. I did that on my first run and it was still too much salt for me. I use about 1/2 a teaspoon and I'm happy.

Second; If you're just going to dump a butt load of salt in anyway, why would you bother using unsalted butter? Why?

That is all. Now, go forth and bread stick.

No comments: