Monday, November 16, 2009

Nesting Cubes- More Specific

This is a post I wrote for my guest blogging stint last week at Presser foot. I thought you all might want to actually know something about those nesting cubes. So I'm re-posting it here.

I've finally finished the grand plan I had for my cube pouch, and here it is;
A set of five nesting cubes with various closures for little ones to play and practice with.

The littlest guy ended up being sort of oblong, but I'm just going to pretend I meant it to be that way.

He fits inside this two inch fella


Who fits in this three inch lace up job


Who buttons into this four incher


Who's all snuggled up in the five.




To make your own set of nesting cubes, use the following measurements and apply them to the instructions given in this tutorial by Indie House.
5" cube- 11"x10.5" corner seams will be 5" long and 2.5" from the point.

4" cube- 9'x8.5" Corners seams will be 4" and 2" from the point

3" cube- 7"x6.5" Corner seams will be 3" and 1.5" from the point

2" cube- 5"x4.5" corner seams will be 2" and 1" from the point

1" cube- 2.5"x2.5" corner seams will be 1" long and 1/2" from the point.
I cut my 1" cube 3"x 2.5" and I didn't seem to need the extra half inch when things got that small. I haven't tested the 2.5"x2.5" measurement but I think it will work. I also didn't put inner lining in my 1" cube. That probably affected the measurement of my finished project as well.

The longer side of your fabric is the side you want to put your closures on. So, on my 5" cube I sewed my zipper along the 11" side of my fabric rectangles.
If you're using buttons, snaps or anything that needs to over lap rather than meet flush, add and extra half inch to shorter measurement, bringing things back to square. That will give you an inch of overlap in the center to accommodate closures.

1 comment:

Lauranie said...

awesome! Not only it is a GREAT way for a little one to learn...it is a FABULOUS way for us BIG ones to practice our various closures!! I might have to try this one!!